Idris Elba is sharing a health update after revealing he tested positive for coronavirus on March 16.
In a video posted to his social media accounts Tuesday, the actor, 47, said he and his wife Sabrina Dhowre are “doing OK” and are still asymptomatic.
He also encouraged everyone worried about the virus to stay calm.
“Take it from me, man. I thought I was definitely going to see the worst of it as an asthmatic, but thankfully I came through and so can you,” he said.
Elba also explained why he and his wife are not able to get home to London.
“We’ve passed the quarantine period but we’re a little bit stuck in limbo. We can’t get a flight back home,” he said. “So we just have to sit still for a little bit. Other than that, we’re OK, and we’re so thankful for that. I think the worst of it has probably passed.”
He related to everyone going a bit stir-crazy while stuck inside.
“It’s weird because I never sit still, Sabrina never sits still either and I think she’s finding it harder,” he added. “She’s getting cabin fever … but we’re both good mentally, just trying to stay optimistic.”
Elba also gave a shout-out to healthcare workers.
“Especially the doctors and nurses and the healthcare people that are doing their thing. You lot are amazing and should be fully appreciated,” he said.
In a FaceTime interview with Oprah Winfrey last week, Elba praised Tom Hanks, who also tested positive for the virus, for revealing his diagnosis.
“Tom being in a — I suppose — a high risk category, while being on set on a film, came out immediately, which was the right thing to do, 100%,” he said. “Film sets are incubators, essentially … I think Tom definitely did the right thing … I spoke to my wife about it and said, ‘I really think I should say something’ and she said, ‘Yeah, let’s do it.’ “
Contributing: Gary Dinges
Read more at usatoday.com