‘Ssatirical’ video making light of coronavirus outbreak on the Ruby Princess shared by crew on board

‘Genocide on the seas’: Disturbing ‘satirical’ video making light of coronavirus outbreak on the Ruby Princess is shared by crew members still quarantined on board

  • The video is filmed as a satirical movie trailer and shows the crew in isolation 
  • ‘Death ship films. Based on true events. Every ship has its secrets,’ the video says
  • It calls the March 8 cruise that infected 600 passengers ‘genocide on the seas’
  • More than 600 cases of coronavirus and 16 deaths are linked to the cruise ship
  • The cruise ship is docked at Port Kembla and is under investigation by police 
  • Learn more about how to help people impacted by COVID

By Alana Mazzoni For Daily Mail Australia

Published: | Updated:

Crew members quarantined on the Ruby Princess have created a harrowing ‘satirical’ video making light of the coronavirus outbreak on board.

There are 52 crew on board the cruise ship – which is docked at Port Kembla, south of Sydney – who have tested positive to COVID-19.

Ruby Princess employees have passed the time in isolation by sharing a video amongst themselves calling the vessel a ‘death ship’.

The video goes on to dub the ship a ‘genocide on the seas’, making light of the fact 16 passengers from the ill-fated New Zealand cruise have died of coronavirus. 

Police are investigating how more than 2,600 people were allowed to disembark the ship when it docked in Sydney on March 19 without undergoing adequate health checks, with more than 600 passengers testing positive to coronavirus since.

They video dubbed the ship a ‘genocide on the seas,’ referring to the ill-fated New Zealand cruise on March 8 that infected 600 passengers with coronavirus, and went on to kill 16 people around Australia

The movie trailer-style video reportedly shows a crew member wearing a face mask glancing around his cabin with a scared expression

The video is filmed as a sardonic movie trailer, and shows footage filmed on board the Ruby Princess of workers in isolation.

It also shows grainy footage of crowds of passengers on the pool deck, prior to the COVID-19 outbreak on board. 

‘Death ship films. Based on true events,’ the video says.

‘Every ship has its secrets. How do you fight a secret? A secret that spreads. One man discovers how much a secret costs.’ 

The video shows a crew member wearing a face mask glancing around his cabin with a scared expression, according to 7 News.

It then shows footage of a water police boat approaching the ship, and another employee lying in his bed. 

Some 52 crew on board the cruise ship – which is docked at Port Kembla, south of Sydney – who have tested positive to COVID-19 

The Ruby Princess will remain moored at the port near Wollongong for the next six days, with crew from more than 50 countries on board

‘Cabin fever setting in,’ a crew member, not featured in the video, told 7News.

‘What I can’t understand is that all the passengers from the [Norwegian Jewel] were quarantined in Sydney but our passengers were simply herded off, even though an ambulance had been requested the day before,’ the crew member said.

‘Surely NSW Health would have known about the ambulance and also that they were receiving swabs from passengers that were sick.’    

The Ruby Princess will remain moored at the port near Wollongong for the next six days, with crew from more than 50 countries on board. 

A team of 30 detectives from state crime, counter terrorism and marine area command are investigating the communications and actions which led to the docking and disembarking of the vessel.

The investigation will cover the actions of the port authority, ambulance, police, the NSW Health department and Carnival Australia.

‘The only way I can get to the bottom of whether our national biosecurity laws and our state laws were broken is through a criminal investigation,’ NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.

The investigation will cover the actions of the port authority, ambulance, police, the NSW Health department and Carnival Australia. 

On April 8, NSW Police raided the vessel, questioning its captain and searching for evidence in a rapid escalation of the criminal investigation.

The first briefing into the investigation was held last Wednesday morning, before officers dressed in gas masks, goggles and white hazmat suits boarded the vessel at Port Kembla, south of Wollongong, at 7pm that day.

Timeline of Ruby Princess fiasco

March 18: The Ruby Princess issues an urgent mayday call for an ambulance for two of its passengers presenting with coronavirus-like symptoms 24 hours before the ship is allowed to dock in Sydney. 

March 19: The Ruby Princess arrives in Sydney Harbour. More than 2,700 guests are allowed to disembark without adequate health checks. 

March 25: Australian Border Force Commissioner Michael Outram says New South Wales Health is responsible for letting coronavirus patients disembark the ship.

March 29: Several crew members are evacuated and taken to hospital after being diagnosed with coronavirus.

April 2: A 66-year-old crew member is taken off the Ruby Princess for medical treatment. More than 200 crew members are sick and in self-isolation.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian defends the actions of NSW Health and the Australian Border Force and points the finger at the Ruby Princess. She claims staff onboard may have misled NSW Health about the extent of illnesses in passengers.

April 3: Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton alleges Ruby Princess’ operators weren’t transparent about the health of crew: ‘It was ‘clear that some of the companies have been lying about the health of passengers and crew on board’.

April 4: Leaked emails show NSW Health knew of the coronavirus risk on board the Ruby Princess before allowing its thousands of passengers to disembark. 

April 5: A criminal investigation is launched into how passengers were able to disembark without health checks 

April 8: A team of 30 detectives from state crime, counter terrorism and marine area command start investigating the handling of the Ruby Princess coronavirus scandal. The first briefing into the investigation is held.

April 9: NSW Police clad in PPE equipment raid the vessel, questioning its captain and searching for evidence in a rapid escalation of the criminal investigation.

April 11: NSW Health confirms that at least 46 crew members of the Ruby Princess cruise ship have contracted COVID-19

Advertisement

Read More

Related Posts

Leave a comment