Frustrated Dak Prescott dismisses angst over coronavirus gathering

Detroit Lions vs. Dallas Cowboys - November 17, 2019

Minimizing in-person contact was not among Dak Prescott plans, apparently. (Mike Mulholland | MLive.com)Mike Mulholland | MLive.com

Every Texan “shall, except where necessary to provide or obtain essential services, minimize social gatherings and minimize in-person contact with people who are not in the same household.”

Seems simple enough. And those were the instructions of Gov. Greg Abbott, in attempt to minimize the spread of the coronavirus in Texas, guidelines that mirror many states.

So why wouldn’t Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott abide by them?

Reports surfaced over the weekend of Prescott hosting a party at his house that had upwards of 30 people, including teammate Ezekiel Elliott. Police were called to the scene, but no citation was issued. Prescott attempted some damage control Tuesday with a crafted statement, but also managed to still miss the point.

“I understand and accept that there are additional responsibilities and media scrutiny that come with being an NFL quarterback, but it is very frustrating and disappointing when people provide completely inaccurate information from anonymous sources, especially now,” Prescott said in the statement. “To set the record straight — I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else, I am continuing to adjust to what that requires, but the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner — not a party — on Friday night.

“I am very sensitive to the challenges we are all facing and making sure to support the first responders and medical personnel and everyone else putting in long hours. We are all at a time when we need to keep educating ourselves about the importance of health and isolation during this pandemic and I will continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities.”

Prescott insists there were few than 10 people at dinner — which still violates the governor’s wishes. And earlier this month, he was working out with ex-Dallas receiver Dez Bryant.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones gave Prescott and Elliott a refresher on social distancing.

“I think they’re certainly aware now of how sensitive these situations are,” Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “I don’t think you’ll be seeing that anymore. They’re certainly guys we have the utmost respect for, and I certainly know they understand the sensitivity of the situation we’re in today. It’s certainly very serious and something that we know and certainly know they understand.”

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

Read More

Related Posts

Leave a comment